Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Hungary Trip: Budapest Spa

Two more days in Budpest and since I got here I wanted to visit this big spa with a 76 degrees spring! The Hungarian name: Szechenyi Bath. I was driven by curiosity and I had one surprise after the other. 

You are given a plastic watch that allows you to get into your private changing room. 
The large pool welcoming you has a large fountain and a sign announcing the temperature of the water is 37-38 degrees Celsius. 



I got in and enjoyed the warmth of the water. There were streams of spring water coming from different spots in the floor and in the walls of the pool. 

Then I saw some people setting up a table for a DJ in a corner and a cameraman. They announced something in Hungarian and next thing a group of people got into the pool and started dancing to the music. I asked the cameraman what was the occasion. They are filming here twice a year for a TV channel. Two young American girls were singing along and dancing to the music of ABBA in Mama Mia and the BG's. 



The dancing group and the guys playing chess on the ledge of the pool!!

I went upstairs to try the thermal baths. There was a small pool of shallow water for people to wash their feet before they get in. This sign above it announces the content of the various salts in the baths:


This is why people used to come here for healing for many centuries. 


The thermal baths made me think of all the stories and movie scenes of Roman baths. 


This is the large cool water pool for swimming laps. Decorated with the ubiquitous statues. 

I left this great spa calm and relaxed!

No comments:

Post a Comment