Tuesday, February 6, 2018

The Ego-Self and the Higher-Self

We learned a mantra at my Naam yoga class that has to do with the ego.  It is one of my favorite mantras as it is meaningful, it has a great melody and personally it is powerful. The purpose of the mantra is to balance the chatter and voices in your head.  On one hand, our ego has a loud voicd that keeps on chattering and directing our thoughts.  On the other hand we all have a "higher self."  Many cynics laugh at this concept of a "higher self," simply because it is very quiet.  It is no more than a whisper.  This is why this mantra is so important.  For a minute or two we sing the mantra and try to quiet our thoughts and carefully listen to that whisper of our higher self.  It is not always rewarding, but once in a while we do get a new insight, a new idea or a thought that enlightens us: Aaahhh...
At the religious school where I teach the Rabbi was teaching the kids about the Ego-self, the Higher-self, the soul and experiencing the love of God. 
My colleague who attended this teaching wrote to me: “It was fascinating and I personally came out of it as a better person.”
I am asking myself: What is a better person?  What makes you a better person?
Personally I am happy to be aware that there is a higher-self somewhere in my identity.  I am happy to know that it is possible for me to listen to it’s quiet whisper. Little by little I may get a glimpse at the higher qualities within me that I can utilize in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment